Yesterday, we went for a checkup with the ADHD specialist. We go every 6 months because children who take a class A drug need to have regular medical checks to make sure they are growing at a normal rate (Ritalin has been known to stunt growth). George also has his blood pressure taken. What normally follows that, is a short discussion regarding any issues or problems - this is generally a kind of "counselling" session.
Last time we went, in November 2007, we were told that we would be called back in three months because we had taken George off his meds. Sure enough, 6 months later....... *rolls eyes*
We haven't seen the same Doctor twice in the five years that George has been visiting. Yesterday was no exception. We made that comment and the Doctor apologised profusely and went on to explain about staff shortages and how he, as a consultant Psychiatrist, had been called in to help out. Whilst I am fully aware of the shortcomings of the NHS in terms of resources, it shouldn't be my problem. I'm not really interested in the problems faced by the NHS, I am more interested in the problems faced by my son, and ensuring that he gets the correct support.
I felt a bit sorry for the chap, to be honest. We told him exactly how we felt - that we had been abandoned by the system and left to our own devices. How, in January and February, we were at our wits end and the only support we could get was a telephone call from a hard pressed ADHD nurse, three days to a week after we called asking for help!
In fairness to him, he had read all the notes, and he asked if George was taking any medication at all. This obviously led on to a conversation about The Dore Programme. I was surprised to know that he had heard of it, and he told me that he was attending a Psychiatrists convention shortly, and Dore was on the agenda. He has also seen one other child in our area who is on The Dore Programme and this other child is also making some good progress.
We discussed the cost involved. I'm not a Rocket Scientist, but even I can see that Dore could actually save the NHS money, if only they would get behind it. I have no idea how much Ritalin costs, but 18000mg per year for five years must cost more than a few pence..... add to that the cost of the resources - psychiatrists, support staff, ADHD nurses etc., and the five years that George has spent within the system must have cost more than £2500. Had we not discovered Dore, George would be faced with at least two visits per year for .... I don't know how many more years. Again a cost factor when comparing traditional ADHD management with The Dore Programme.
We also discussed the "leap of faith" factor. Yes, I know that Dore doesn't work for everybody, and I'm sure if the people at Dore could identify why it doesn't work for all then they could possibly take some steps to refine the programme. Perhaps in the future this may come to pass.
Whilst we were talking, George (bless him) was sat quietly next to me. He was sketching a hot rod and I noticed how calm he was, how relaxed, how totally focussed he was on what he was doing. This is not something he has ever managed to do successfully when there is something else going on in the same room. The Doctors words "He's like a different boy" will stick in my mind for some time to come..... and as I'm typing these words, I'm grinning like an idiot....!
He is like a different boy, he's calmer, quieter, more content and we have noticed this, but it's doubly impressive when other people notice. The Doctor admitted that he was apprehensive about our meeting and had been racking his brains to find a way to help us. I know that once he met George, and saw the way he behaved so perfectly, he was quite relieved.
To answer the question "You want to what?"....
He wanted to discharge George. He doesn't feel that George needs to go back for any more check ups and is very happy with his progress.
Now... the cynic in me feels that by discharging George, much needed resources will be freed up to deal with the many other children within the system and also on the waiting list. Whilst I am sympathetic, and God knows I realise how frustrating it is to be on a waiting list where you never seem to get to the top, my main concern is my child and his wellbeing. For this reason, I refused to allow him to be discharged. We are very happy with the way George is improving, and I have faith in The Dore Programme. But, we're still only 3 months into it and I want to retain a safety net for 6 months just in case.....
So, we'll get another appointment through in 6 months time, and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to take my perfectly normal son to see them, and sit there with a smug look on my face....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Amazing, truly amazing progress.
Got a few questions.... How is George feeling about this, must feel like an uncoiled spring! Have school noticed?
We asked our Paedriatrician we saw last time (the consultant was on hols so we saw 1 of his team) if Matthew could have ADHD inattentive this time, we discussed Autistic traits the first time. Of course he has improved so much since the referal and subsequent 1st appointment it's hard to get a diagnosis in retrospect. What she did say was that "no it couldn't be ADHD because the only treatment for ADHD is drugs". Worrying uhh? I was wondering if next time I go (they haven't discharge him just yet, but said keep on doing what your doing as it's working) in 6 months, I could give them your blog address?
Mary - great news on George being "eligible" for discharge, but I know how you feel. We have been discharged from S&L therapy and Occupational Therapy and I also felt it is because the system is so stretched. Sounds like you have a model child there - I've never been able to get Harry to sit still when he is being discussed :)
How is George feeling about this, must feel like an uncoiled spring!
We talked about this, just today, he and I. He told me that he feels calmer at home, but is still struggling to control himself at school because a lot of his peers are so used to winding him up and then watching him over-react (great entertainment for them... :-( ). I've tried to equip him with a way to manage this. Time will tell...
Have school noticed?
It's like getting blood from a stone..... I've been trying to get somebody to give me some half decent feedback for a while. We're currently telephoning every other day.... I think I'm going to have to go up there and rant a bit...
.....What she did say was that "no it couldn't be ADHD because the only treatment for ADHD is drugs". Worrying uhh?
Hrrmph.... I was waiting to be told that myself, when we went for our recent ADHD clinic appointment. We were fortunate... well actually, the Doctor was fortunate, because I already had my answer ready if he tried to tell me that George had been mis-diagnosed because ADHD cannot be cured. It was something along the lines of "So... you prescribe a class A drug for 5 years, for a child who YOU said had ADHD... and now you think you got it wrong?!!!"
I was wondering if next time I go (they haven't discharge him just yet, but said keep on doing what your doing as it's working) in 6 months, I could give them your blog address?
Please do. Every little helps....
xx
Mary - great news on George being "eligible" for discharge, but I know how you feel. We have been discharged from S&L therapy and Occupational Therapy and I also felt it is because the system is so stretched.
We're not cynical at all, are we... lol. I think we've done the right thing in refusing the discharge. They're not getting rid of us until I am 100% positive that we don't need them.
Sounds like you have a model child there - I've never been able to get Harry to sit still when he is being discussed :)
Steady now, lol..... he's a long way off being a model child, but from where we were 3 months ago, he has made huge progress. Still working hard at it, and not getting complacent. ;-)
Mary, you are magnificent.
As one of your 'cyber friends', I am reading your blog with interest and admiration. I know that many parents, who don't leave messages, will be encouraged by your words.
I sincerely hope that teachers and doctors find their way here and take note of the success, so far.
Bee
Bee, stop it... you're making me blush. I'm just an ordinary Mum who uses a blog for therapy. ;-)
Im not big with wordy words, but all I have to say here for you and George, is
YAY! :-)
Frazzle, your comments, as always, bring a smile to my face. You manage to put into one sentence how we are feeling...
YAY!!!
:o)
xx
Post a Comment